Shaping up does not have to cost a lot of money. It can be as simple-and inexpensive-as making small lifestyle changes.
Here are a few tips to help you get started:
1. Why not skip watching TV for one night and go for a walk with a friend? Walking is one of the best forms of exercise and the easiest to do.
2. Do your own yard work. Pushing a manual mower and raking leaves burns hundreds of calories and can save you $100 or more every month.
3. Wash and wax your own car to save dollars and burn calories.
4. Do your own housework. It burns between 140 and 400 calories a day and can save you the money you would spend hiring help. Thirty minutes of window washing burns 100 calories.
5. Consider a health care discount program like HealthSaver, which has teamed up with Jenny Craig to offer great savings on a variety of weight loss programs.
Members can save money on sensible weight loss programs, which focus on a healthy relationship with food, an active lifestyle and a balanced approach to living, commonly referred to as food/body/mind.
The programs offer planned or personalized menus, a personalized activity and motivational plan, one-on-one consultations, weight loss success manuals and tools and 24-hour support. Plans include:
â¢ TuneUP: a 30-day introductory program (plus the cost of food) that’s free with HealthSaver membership. It offers a quick shape-up for people who already have a healthy diet, exercise and want to lose 10 lbs. or less.
â¢ OnTrack: A six-month plan to help you get back OnTrack with consistent healthy eating and physical activity. Membership earns you a 50 percent discount.
â¢ Jenny Rewards: A yearlong plan in which food discount rewards grow from 10 to 35 percent as long as you continue. You get a 20 percent discount.
HealthSaver offers discounts of 20 percent on vision care, prescriptions and alternative health care treatments.